Monday, December 7, 2009

Health Care and Slavery

Hey y'all. I took a few days off but I'm back. Last week I wrote a post about Allen Iverson, aka The Answer. I think I could have brought a little more depth to some of the ideas I presented. Luckily Q. McCall did a much better job at Freedarko.com He even quotes Bell Hooks! And on to other news...

So I still don't have health care. In case you haven't noticed this is my 500th post about health care and not a whole lot has changed.

To recap in three sentences, the White House said we need Health Care Reform and Republicans in congress said we should bomb Canada instead, except for Olympia Snowe who said "Canada is way too close to Maine" and suggested that she might possibly, maybe consider voting for some version of Health Care Reform. Congressional Democrats meanwhile said Health Care Reform is essential and must contain a strong publicly funded insurance option, except Joe Lieberman, the sort of democrat, who responded by saying: "I think the best thing I can do for the U.S. economy is to try as hard as possible to look and act exactly like Senator Palpatine"(Star wars reference, c'mon people). And we've sort been in this place the whole time.

In fairness to the good men and women of the United States Congress, they have advanced legislation fairly far along in the process. The real problem is that no-one doubted that they could get this far. In fact most people would have told you that the House would likely pass a bill with a somewhat strong public option. Others would have also suggested that the Senate would be able to get a bill on the floor that would include some version of a public option. The problem is that no-one knows how the hell these people are going to agree on anything in the end that results in, ME, getting health care.

And hey that's important. I deserve health care, heck I'm entitled to it. But I still don't have any. I make too much to qualify for Medicaid and not enough to be able to afford it on my own. New York State does have programs that would make it more affordable for me and I'm still working on it. But what I really want is some Cuban, British, French, Canadian type of health care, you know some Straight Gangsta Type Health Care. If we are going to have a government, I ask that they pick up my trash, bring water to my house and give me Health Care. In turn I will pay taxes. I've been holding up my end of the bargain. When are you gonna hold up your end, Mr. Uncle Sam?

And if that wasn't enough, it turns out that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is flabbergasted about slavery. He said so when he pointed out that Republican lawmakers are stalling on health care the way some legislators stalled in outlawing slavery. Good point. It was messed up that those people in congress stalled legislation that could have ended slavery. I'm glad you brought it up. In fact, I think the logical next step for you, Mr. Reid, is to introduce legislation guaranteeing reparations to the ancestors of the American Slaves that built the mall you spend your days walking about. What do you think Harry, can we make it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment