Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gentrification

Alright ya'll. I'm tired. No really I have droopy eyes. I'm going to make it short and sweet tonight. That's right I'm going to break down gentrification in a tiny blog entry. No not really. This is a topic that is very important to me. One that I am conflicted about. I'm going to introduce the subject tonight and ask some questions. Than I will revisit the topic again, during the challenge. Here is how Wikipedia defines gentrification: "Gentrification and urban gentrification denote the socio-economic, commercial, and demographic change in an urban area resulting from wealthier people buying housing property in a poor community."

So here are some of my questions:

Who is most responsible for gentrification left-leaning or right-leaning people?

Why are liberals and radicals involved in gentrification at all?

What are legitimate responses to gentrification?

What kind of solutions can communities implement to curb gentrification?

Those are my questions for y'all to ponder. My last thoughts for now are: Gentrification Sucks!

1 comment:

  1. In America I am happy to believe that anyone can buy real estate. Neighborhoods change over time. Often when a neighborhood is in the decline, the values go down because less people want to live there.

    How would these declined areas ever rebound? Why would living near some rich people be a bad thing? Poor people can be good, and so can rich people. A nice mixture would probably be best for all.

    If all housing was equally priced, the rich would be able to live anywhere. The poor near the bottom would live no where.

    What we have is society in flux, and that is not bad.

    Curbing gentrification sounds like the opposite of barring poor people from the neighborhood because they are "too poor" to live with the people there.

    This sounds like discrimination against one segment of society by another, which we hopefully both agree is bad.

    Why then, does discrimination against the rich people seem like it's okay to you?

    Change 'rich people' to black people, or gay people, see if your arguement holds up. I bet you see how discriminatory you're being.

    (oops)

    Charlie A.

    ReplyDelete